Sunday, June 22, 2014

The Mall

We secured our taxi driver to pick us up at 10:00 AM this Saturday morning and take us to the Mall Del Rio.  The only big mall in Cuenca.
I was pleasantly surprised.  
                                                       
 The Supermercado is like a Walmart - but neat, clean and always someone to help you.
                                                                                                                                                       
 Inside Mall is like any other in the US. (except MOM)



They even have a Hallmark Store!



The food court is very large and has a giant screen TV so people can sit, eat and watch soccer.  Especially now with the World Cup games.  McDonald's, Burger King,            
                                                  KFC and Sub Way all available.

I am sure we walked another 2 miles - I'm not complaining, great exercise, just not used to that much walking.  We don't have a car so we walk or take taxi's and sometimes a bus,  Bus fare is $.25 but if you over 65 it's 1/2 that.

Later in the afternoon we walked to one of the 4 rivers of Cuenca, Rio Tomebamba.  We live about 1 block from the river but to get there is 3-4 blocks.

There  is green space on either side of the river where families wash their clothes and spread them to dry on the grass.



Great way to end a fun filled afternoon.

4 comments:

  1. So will you be washing your unmentionables in the river? I'm laughing at the thought of any of us doing that. Truly sounds awesome and I'm diligently saving my pennies so I can visit someday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL - I've only seen a couple of people washing in the river. I was in a taxi so could not take pictures. I never got close enough to see exactly what was being washed.
    I sure hope you guys do come to visit us - we have the room and time to show you around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If people wash their clothes in the river, doesn't the soap pollute the water?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not even sure they use soap - our driver told us it was tradition for them to wash clothes in the river!

      Delete